Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Empowered. You got it!

As I was on the treadmill this afternoon, I was watching Jennifer Hudson on the Dr. Oz show.  Dr. Oz asked Jennifer to give one word that describes how she feels after all her weight loss and before she even answered, powerful was the first word that popped up in my head.  Shortly after he asked the question, she just so happened to reply with empowered.  I couldn't agree more.  As far as I'm concerned, I don't feel STRONGER in the sense of muscles (except my man calves... ew!), but I do feel that I have much more power in my decision making.  

Prior to February 2010 when I started to drop the weight, I would give in to anything terrible for you .  One of my most favorite meals?  A plain bagel, toasted, with cream cheese from Dunkin Donuts.  I'd get it a lot.  More than I'll ever admit.  I'd also eat cheeseburgers from McDonalds or nachos with queso from Chili's, along with whatever their happy hour deal was.  

No wonder the scale hit 200+.  Yes, that's right kids, at my heaviest, I was over 200 pounds.  Gross.  That disturbing fact alone is enough for me to want to go back to the gym right now and walk a few miles.  But, I did that earlier, so YAY! :)

Now, when it comes to eating, I feel strong enough to say no to the temptations of fried, greasy, fatty foods.  I'm not calling anyone who chooses to eat this type of food weak, it's just how I feel after seeing the results of all my hard work.  To me, it's not worth the icky feeling I get after eating non-nutritious food.  It's like my brain has been rewired to only crave healthy things.  Except chocolate - my craving for chocolate is 24/7! :)

Jennifer also said that it's hard for anyone to understand unless they've been in both places and I 100% agree with that.  Yes, my fiance gets mad when we go out and I order salad instead of a burger or pasta.  But after going from the 200s, to where I am now (I don't feel comfortable giving my current weight, because it's a work in progress and I'm actually trying to gain back a few pounds....  I went slightly overboard with the healthy eating!!!), I do not ever want to be the way I was.  When I look back and see pictures, I actually cringe.  I cringe not because I ate like crap, but because I obviously didn't care enough about myself and I was weak

So my question to you is, why do you want to eat healthier?  Is it to lose weight? Is it to fit better in your favorite skinny jeans?  Is it for your high school reunion that's coming up (SMH Class of 2002 grads - any word on our 10-year reunion this year!?!?)?  Whatever the reason is, please make sure that reason is simply for youYOU need to be the one wanting to lose the weight.  Success will come to you when you're ready to dedicate yourself and you're willing to completely revamp how you look at nutrition and exercise.  My final words: Do it for YOU!!! :) 

Sweet Hugs,
Lauren

No comments:

Post a Comment