Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Healthy obsession?

I think I'm obsessed with sweet potatoes!  I cannot believe I waited 27 years to experience all the deliciousness that a sweet potato has to offer!  What's even better is that I don't need it loaded up with brown sugar, marshmallows, and butter! I simply bake it in the oven at 350 degrees for about an hour and a half, and then I top it off with a few sprays of I Can't Believe It's Not Butter, freshly ground black pepper, and a few shakes of nutmeg.  Now, don't get me wrong - my aunt makes a delicious sweet potato casserole at Christmas time which is amazing.... but if we have that all the time, it won't be a special holiday treat.  So, plain sweet potatoes it is!  I'm looking forward to experimenting with a sweet potato chili next weekend!  Look for the recipe... unless it's another kitchen misfire! ha! :)

Back to what I was saying though - is it okay to be obsessed with food?  I know anything is fine in moderation (Why is it so easy for me to say that here, but I cannot follow my own advice!?!?).  I know many people who can't live without particular foods - peanut butter, hummus, granola, etc.  Are any of you obsessed with any foods?  I find comfort in having a food that I cannot live without - right now I seem to be gravitating towards an unhealthy obsession with Dove Dark Chocolate! :) But, when does it become unhealthy? I should also note that I'm also loving cheese sticks, especially string cheese! I have one every day at lunch! :)

Tonight's dinner was total randomness.  I love pulling spices right off the rack and throwing them together into a marinade, hoping for yumminess.  Tonight was no exception to that! I whipped up a quick white wine herb marinade, threw some chicken breasts into a bag, and let the magic happen in the refrigerator for about an hour. 

I love how in 99% of my pictures, there 
is a sweet potato. ha! :)

For a side, I opted for a baked sweet potato, sauteed white onion, and mixed veggies that were leftover from Sunday's dinner.  The chicken was perfectly moist and quite flavorful!  The sweet potato was very good as usual and the mixed veggies were okay... ya'll know I hate leftovers!!!  

Here's the recipe:
White Wine and Herb Chicken
3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1/4 c white wine (cooking wine, or Chardonnay) 
1/2 TBSP extra virgin olive oil
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
1/4 tsp fennel seed

Mix the wine, olive oil, and herbs and spices.  Pour over chicken.  Let the marinade work it's magic for at least an hour.  Throw into a 350 degree oven for 30 minutes!  :)  Enjoy!

Now I'm off to have more of my cherry angel food cake as a dessert.  No worries, the Dove Dark Chocolate will be making an appearance later, as I spend the rest of the evening doing a serious amount of schoolwork.  Is it spring break yet!?! :)

Enjoy your evening everyone!

Sweet Hugs,
Lauren

No comments:

Post a Comment