Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Sloppy, but Yummy!

Tonight's dinner was sloppy.  Sloppy on purpose!  :)  Last night, I asked the guys what they wanted for dinner and sloppy joe's came up!  I love sloppy joe's but I always forget about it when I'm coming up with ideas for dinner! It's pretty easy and quick, which makes for a nice mid-week meal!  I followed a recipe from a fellow food-blogger (Gina's Skinny Recipes), so I can't take the credit on this one!  You can find the recipe here!

I just browned some lean ground beef with 3/4 of a while onion.  I drained it and then added about 1/4 of a red bell pepper (finely chopped) and 1 medium sized carrot (finely chopped) as well as throwing in 1 tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce as well as 1 tablespoon of red wine vinegar.  I let that cook on medium heat for about 5 minutes.  I then added 2 cups of tomato sauce and 2 tablespoons of tomato paste (both were no-salt added).  To spice things up, I added crushed red pepper flakes and garlic powder.  I should have used fresh garlic, but I wasn't that motivated when I got home from work! :)  I let that simmer for about 10 minutes and dinner was ready! (Right before it was done, I threw an Arnold's Sandwich Thin in the toaster oven to warm it up!)

In the meantime, I had also thrown together some roasted red potatoes with rosemary! Yummy!  Just quarter some red potatoes, drizzle on some extra virgin olive oil, throw in some rosemary (I used dried), and topped it off with some sprinkles of paprika.  Put it in a 350 degrees oven and let it roast for 35-45 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes!

On the side, I popped a bag of steamed peas in the microwave and 4 minutes later, dinner was ready!

Pretty easy mid-week meal! :)

Are you impressed that I didn't opt for a sweet potato tonight!?!? haha! I forgot how tasty those little red potatoes are!!!

Now it's off to watch American Idol and enjoy some pieces of Dove Dark Chocolate... apparently it's becoming part of my nightly routine!

Goodnight!!

Sweet Hugs,
Lauren

No comments:

Post a Comment