Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Wow!

Wow! I cannot believe all the positive comments I got on Facebook and at work today about this blog! I didn't think anyone would actually read it!  I'm glad you are all enjoying this as much as I enjoy sharing recipes with you!

I wasn't planning on posting tonight, but I'm so excited that you guys love it so much, I'm throwing in a bonus recipe! :) Score!!!

In my attempt to create delicious comfort food to recover from a Christmas Cookie overdose the past couple of weeks, I decided to experiment with chicken!  Now, my mom swears that every time she cooks chicken in the oven, she cooks with bones and skin.  Well, for those of you who know the chicken bone story, you know that it's very rare that I will even take a morsel of a bite of chicken if it has bones.  Let's just say I'm traumatized for life!!! So because of that, I always buy boneless and skinless!   

When I got home from work, I pulled out the steamer and threw in a cup of brown rice.  I usually add 1 1/4 cups of chicken broth (low sodium), but all we had was vegetable broth and I didn't know how that would turn out.  So, I added water (ew, I know) and I decided to throw in some spices - fresh ground black pepper and ground garlic.  I'm not sure how fresh garlic would turn out in a steamer.  The steamed rice takes about 50-52 minutes.

After that was steaming for a while, I pulled out the chicken and ever-so-sweetly asked my fiance to do the dirty work.  He cleaned 3 very large chicken breasts and cut off the fat - yuck!  While he was doing that, I stared at the spice rack, figuring out what creation I could make... 


I ended up with tarragon, paprika, and fresh ground black pepper.  Random group there, but it turned out to make a pretty tasty dish!  


After Shaun was done cleaning the chicken, I forked the pieces and sprinkled the spices on the top and bottom (except the paprika.... I don't think my four-year-old niece wants her mouth on fire two nights in a row... LOL).  I then sprayed a 9x13 glass baking dish with Pam Spray (with olive oil) and put the chicken in the dish.  I threw it in a 350 degree oven for 30 minutes.  After 30 minutes, I checked the temperature and it ended up needing 5 more minutes.  You'll quickly learn that I am seriously OCD about meat temperature.  Like I want to get sick from undercooked meat! Zoikes!!!


Once the chicken was done, I threw a bag of steamed peas in the microwave - only takes 4 minutes in our intensely powerful microwave! 


I then got the super idea to make a chicken-rice-peas BOWL! Genius! I put rice in the bottom of the bowl, then I cut up my chicken breast and threw it in, topped it off with some peas and then I added a few dashes of Kraft Grated 3-Cheese Blend.  It was delicious! 

Since this was completely unplanned, I only have one picture, of the finished product.  I'm sure I'll make it again and I'll post pictures of the steps! :) 

 Sorry for the poor quality picture, it was snapped with my cell phone!

Well, I'm off to Publix with Shaun and then we're headed to Yogurt Mountain... I hear some scrumptious fro-yo calling my name! 

Sweet Hugs,
Lauren



No comments:

Post a Comment