Sunday, January 8, 2012

Feeling Accomplished!

That's how I'm feeling because Shaun and I are 99% sure we've picked out our wedding bands!  Ring shopping was not on my to-do list today, but as I was "window shopping" online, I found some good deals.  It actually didn't take much for him to agree to take a quick Sunday afternoon trip to the mall.  Of course, the first band I tried on was completely out of our price range.  Everyone who knows me already knows that I am a jewelry connoisseur, so it was no surprise that my expensive taste would bring me nothing but a big tease! LOL! :)  We found some reasonably priced bands, lots-o-diamonds for mine and a few for Shaun's!  I was quite shocked when he mentioned that he wanted a few diamonds on his.  But we'll have these forever, so I told him GO BIG OR GO HOME! :)  We put the rings on hold and will go back on Friday to make our final decision.  There is a pretty big sale going on, so the non-pressuring sales associate recommended putting the rings on hold so no one takes 'em! I'm feeling slightly relieved that we've accomplished some wedding things this weekend!  We also selected our invitations today! :) Woot woot! :)

Now, I'm not one to toot my own horn, but today's Lean Ground Beef Minestrone soup is an absolute winner.  To be honest, I was nervous because it's easy to throw random spices on chicken and bake in the oven.  But when it comes to creating a recipe, for soup, from scratch, it's a whole 'nother story! :) 

The first thing I did was brown a little over a pound of LEAN ground beef with onion (1/2 cup chopped) and 4 garlic cloves, minced with my mincer.  I drained it and then threw it in the crockpot. 


I then added the canned ingredients and stirred it all together. 

I always use low-sodium canned products...I did add about 1/4 tsp of regular salt along with the dried herbs. 

I then threw in the veggies.  I was supposed to make this yesterday, so luckily, all the veggies were already cut up!  Each veggie measured to about 1/2 cup.  Of course, you can add more, but it's up to you!  I also added 1 cup of water because I wanted to make as much as I could! :)


Mmmmm.... looks good! :)

I stirred everything together and put the lid on.  I set the timer for 8 hours, on LOW.  Trust me, your mouth will be watering all day long... our apartment smells DELICIOUS!!!! :)  You could cook on low for 7-8 hours or on high for 5-6.  

When the 8 hours is up (I'm not going to lie, there was 8 minutes left and I had to move on to the next step - I was starving!!!), open it up, stir it up, and add 1 cup of macaroni (I used small elbow macaroni) and the zucchini.  Set the timer for 30 minutes, close the lid, and put on HIGH. 
 Don't add more than 1 cup, or the pasta will absorb all the liquid! :)

Who knew to add UNCOOKED pasta! :)
When there's 5 minutes left, open up a small can of peas and toss 'em in.  Leave on high for 5 minutes.  You're just heating up the peas, so it's okay that a lot of the steam already came out when you opened the lid. 
 Hello cute 'lil can of peas! :)

After the 5 minutes is up, ladle some into a bowl, top with Parmesan cheese and enjoy!  I served ours with Publix brand Whole Wheat Mountain Bread! Delish! :)

 Looks yummy doesn't it!?!?

 The cheese makes it even better! :)

Lean Ground Beef Minestrone Soup (Crock pot)
1 lb lean ground beef
1/2 cup chopped white onion
4-5 minced garlic cloves
2 cans fire-roasted no-salt added diced tomatoes, undrained
2 cans low-sodium beef broth
1 cup water
1 can low-sodium kidney beans, drained
1/2 cup carrots, diced
1/2 cup celery, diced
1/2 cup red pepper, diced
1/2 cup zucchini, diced
1 tsp red pepper flakes
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp dried oregano
1/4 tsp salt
freshly ground black pepper - eyeball it! :)
1 cup macaroni, any kind
1 small can no-salt added peas

Now I'm off to enjoy some Antionette's chocolate that was in my stocking this past Christmas and to do some schoolwork that I've been putting off all day!

Have a GREAT night!

Sweet hugs,
Lauren





No comments:

Post a Comment