Monday, January 16, 2012

Just Because

I love "just because" gifts.  I'm marrying such a romantic man who will often come home with a fresh bouquet of flowers - usually gerbera daisies, which are my favorite.  Tonight was one of those nights when the unexpected happened!  Shaun walked through the door with a dozen red roses, a bouquet of "pom" flowers, and a slice of Chocolate Napoleon Cake from Fresh Market.  Oh me.  Oh my.  I love him! :)  He knows just the right things to buy! 


No worries, I didn't eat the WHOLE piece... we split it in half.  My half was slightly smaller because of my inability to cut evenly! :)  It was divine!

I now have 3 vases of flowers in our apartment and I love it.  I have a bouquet of flowers that I bought 2 weeks ago, on NEW YEARS DAY that is still alive and looking beautiful.  The "poms" he bought me are on our nightstand, and the roses are the perfect centerpiece on our cute Valentine's Day-themed dining room table.  LOVE! :)

Tonight's recipe was a winner and I knew it would be because it's a family recipe!  I was slightly nervous about making it though because Shaun is still in the process of becoming a fan of vegetables like peppers.  I told him he could just eat the goodies inside, but when I sat the plate down in front of him, he dove right in!  I got the seal of approval to make it again, and that my friends is excellent news.  

So, the first thing you'll need to do is wash your peppers, cut them in half, and clear the peppers of those pesky little seeds. I use red peppers.  It's not worth it to use green.  Yes, red peppers cost more, but just do it! :)
I'm surprised I did such a good job cutting those babies without drawing blood.  I don't have the best track record with sharp knives and vegetables!

Then you'll want to throw them in a pot of water, let the water boil, and time for 3 minutes.  I made tonight's wrong and threw them into already boiling water.  The peppers turned out okay, but they are better if you do it the right way! 

It's amazing how good boiling peppers can smell! 

While they are boiling, chop up about 3/4 of a medium-sized yellow onion.  You'll need this in a little bit! :) After the 3 minutes is up, pull them out with tongs and let them sit upside down on a plate! 

Now it's time to brown the ground beef (I used LEAN ground beef tonight, but in the past I've used ground turkey and I've also used regular ground beef).  The lean ground beef works for me! Throw in the onion too as well as a few cloves of minced garlic!
I drain the ground beef even though it's lean.  There's still a lot of grease in the bottom of the pan. 

Put the ground beef into a bowl, and then add your other ingredients - bread crumbs, fennel seed, pepper, garlic powder (I omitted this since I used fresh garlic while I was browning the meat), basil, oregano, crushed red pepper flakes, egg, and a little bit of water (like 1 1/2 tablespoons).  Stir it up and you're almost ready to go!

 I didn't measure anything that went in here... just eye-ball it! :)

I used plain bread crumbs, but you could certainly use Italian-style bread crumbs.

Next you'll need to spray the pan(s) and put your red peppers inside.  I loaded each pepper with about 1/2 cup of the delicious filling  and then top with four-cheese sauce.  Matt doesn't like cheese, so his portion of dinner was made in a separate container with regular sauce.  Sigh.  Clearly I'm a pretty accommodating chef! :)

 Mine and Shaun's peppers...

Matty's peppers.

Different sauces since we have a picky eater! ;)

Look at the finished product!
Looks like yumminess to me! :)

I paired it with a baked sweet potato for me and a regular baked potato for Shaun.  We also each had a side of veggies - cucumber, carrots, and grape tomatoes.


After we ate that, I jumped right into dessert...
ooooh my... delicious.  amazing.  chocolate-y perfection!!!

Stuffed Peppers
3 peppers
1 1/2 lb ground beef
chopped onion
breadcrumbs
pepper
garlic powder
fennel seed
1 egg
water
Classico Tomato Sauce (Four Cheese)
Pecorino Cheese (to top off the stuffed pepper when it's done)

Cut peppers in half and clean.  Put peppers in hot water and bring to a boil.  Boil for approximately 3-4 minutes.  Brown ground beef and onion, drain.  Mix rest of ingredients with a spoon (add a small amount of water) and fill each pepper.  Spray baking dish, add filled peppers, and top each with tomato sauce and cheese.  

Cover and bake at 350 degrees for approximately 1 1/2 hours! Enjoy!

Now I'm off to figure out my game plan for work tomorrow.  It's a Teacher-Work Day, which means I'll be able to get a boatload done, as long as I have a plan!  I'm super excited though because my Level 3 Intern (Full-time student teacher) starts tomorrow!  My kids are already excited to have Ms. Brittany in our class! 

Have a great night guys!

Sweet Hugs,
Lauren







No comments:

Post a Comment